New Day

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Percentage and the way to solve sums

What is Percentage? Find out more!

The percentage sign is %. For example:

I have 250 beans. I ate 70% of them. What is the percentage of the beans I have NOT eaten?

100-75=25.

If you want to find out the amount of beans I have left, like "how many beans I have left?" So we have to find 10% first. 250/10=25. 25X7=350. Like a one whole pie, which is 100% . You cut it into four parts so each part is 25%. If you cut it into 5 pieces, it will be 20% for each part or if you decided to cut the pie into 10 parts, 100/10=10.

So the full amount of the pie is 100%. In order to find out the percentage of something, draw a model or caculation, but try to use model instead. It is more useful and maybe this can lead to a higher chance of getting the correct answer.

Word problems: 1. In a class, there are 450 students. There are 40% more boys than girls. The girls cover 20% of the class. 70% of the boys are healthy while 30% are not. How many boys are not healthy?
450/10=45 20+40=60 60/10=6 6X3=18 18 boys are not healthy.

So, whenever you got difficulty in these problems, please send a comment to my topic of Percentage and the way to solve sums and ask me what is the difficulty, and maybe I can solve it for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home